The Heart of What We Do: Wise Woman Prenatal Care
Feel the Power of Wise Woman Prenatal Care
Most midwives are aware of the nature of medicalized prenatal care; but many don’t realize how much they are doing and implementing that still carry so much from this medical model. In this class focused on prenatal care, we help midwives return to their roots of putting the woman at the center of her spiral WITH the addition of how/when/where to use technology, testing and other tools. This is truly a different model than most midwives are offering women; this course will take you all the way through a pregnancy with Wise Woman care, topics, and skills from start to finish.
In this class, you will be encouraged and invited to create your own prenatal care flow, and add focus to the topics (physical, emotional and spiritual) that are important to you. Included are many of our own resources that we use to guide clients during their pregnancy, and you will be asked to create your own that match your perspectives and philosophy.
Designed for student midwives or doulas, but open to anyone, this 10 week class explores the big picture of prenatal care and it’s components; from the origins of “prenatal care” to the details of how and why we offer women this individualized care. How can we make prenatal care the cornerstone for a woman’s birth experience? This class will show you how to make prenatal care the heart of what we do.
More specifically this class explores the following topics:
– what wise woman care really means, midwifing with clients at the center of their spiral
– how to facilitate a meaningful first visit
– attending to the emotional aspects of prenatal care
– the offered lab work schedule
– palpation, listening to fetal heart tones and fundal height
– how to take a blood pressure and pulse
– troubleshooting throughout pregnancy (with case studies)
– crucial counseling skills
– prenatal care beyond the due date
Wise woman prenatal care has really encouraged me to go within and consider the care that I want to offer. How can I keep the woman at the center of her spiral while also keeping myself at the center of mine? How can we create a relationship where neither one of us has to sacrifice ourselves? It really breaks down each visit and takes you through the process so that you can actually envision it, while also encouraging you to go out and do the hands on work too! In transparency and authenticity. In a way that works for YOU, there is no cookie cutter approach in the wise woman model. You are given the tools and foundation you need to create your own wise women prenatal model of care. And you are given reassurance in the fact that it will inevitably, beautifully, transform as you go deeper into it!Jessica
I love this class and feel that it has allowed me to get a full glimpse of what it looks like to care for women during each month in pregnancy. I was able to prepare a packet for myself as a guide for caring for clients in each month of pregnancy, links to share with them and a packet of info for the clients as well. I feel that this class has been especially practical and helpful for development my own practice as a midwife. I was able to put together a prenatal bag, learn practical skills for care and feel overall better equipped to perform clinical tasks and anticipate what things may come up in each stage. I was most challenged in stepping out and performing my first prenatal.Tonya
What You Will Discover
– Build knowledge about the history of prenatal care; also, the standard prenatal appointment schedule and what is important when
– Understand how the Wise Woman Model differs from other models (even the holistic) and more importantly, how to conduct prenatal care from this perspective
– Understand the importance of history taking and getting to know the woman on every level
– Tackle some of the biggest controversies in pregnancy care; including informed choice, use of technology and more. You will discover your own opinions and thoughts about these issues
– Take on the project of working through your own prenatal flow model as well as designing your own prenatal care materials for future clients (informed choice documents and educational materials)
– Explore basic prenatal skills and when to offer these
– Learn about the emotional transitions of pregnancy and what to topics to discuss at what point. Included are many Indie Birth resources that you may share with clients.
– Develop skills to support clients with appropriate prenatal counseling, as well as how to work with people who may need more support or focus in certain key areas (nutrition, trauma, etc.)
– Develop strategies for working with pregnancy situations through employing case studies
Course Runs May 3rd through July 12th
The Heart of What We Do: Wise Woman Prenatal Care
This course explores the Wise Woman tradition as it applies to care in pregnancy. We will explore the history and contemporary realities of prenatal care as well as how to move forward to create a more effective and heart centered way of walking with women during this time. The purpose is to redefine prenatal care and open up conversations with our clients as to how they want to be served. We will study all the relevant prenatal care skills and schedule of important topics that come up in the course of prenatal care. You will have time to explore, craft and practice your own unique approach and create relevant handouts for your own prenatal book.
(Required donation is $249)