Pregnancy Nutrition : A Pillar of Midwifery Knowledge
Feel Ready to Give Life Enhancing Nutritional Support!
There seem to be two sorts of midwives – one that doesn’t want to really get into what people are eating, and perhaps don’t see it as terribly important to address, and those who want to make it one of the centerpieces of their care with clients. Here at Indie Birth we fall into the second category, which is why we have SO MANY resources on this topic, including this comprehensive course for those who want to take their nutrition knowledge AND counseling skills to the next level.
Designed for student midwives or doulas, but open to anyone, this 10 week class explores the big picture of nutrition and its components, the physiology of how our needs change in pregnancy, practical steps when working with clients on their nutrition, the emotional aspects of working with the topic of what we eat, self-care as we explore our own food stories, how to work with different diet types, budgets and people from a variety of cultures, and much, much more!
More specifically this class explores the following topics:
– micro and macro nutrients
– nutritional needs in pregnancy
– counseling skills
– intuitive and mindful eating
– weight gain, food safety and food quality
– culturally sensitive food counseling
– food security
– different diet types
– working with more complex issues (anemia, gestational diabetes, suspected pre-eclampsia)
Nutrition is such a HUGE topic, however this course does a beautiful job at breaking it down and making it digestible 😉 This course covers the science AND the sacred and also how to work with people where they are at. I’m not even sure how it’s all packed into 10 weeks! There are a variety of learning methods throughout the course so that everything comes together and seems less overwhelming – like you can actually have a conversation with someone about it. It’s great for all learning styles, and since nutrition is such a huge topic, it provides a lot of jumping off points if you like to go down rabbit holes!
I was so missing the boat on nutrition, especially with pregnancy in the past and now while nursing. Over the last few weeks I’ve done some things differently now that I understand nutrition at this level!
What You Will Discover
– Build knowledge of micro and macro nutrients and how to create a meal plan that optimizeds pregnancy health.
– Understand the digestion process and the things which help and hinder it.
– Understand the many ways that pregnancy changes nutritional requirements and the digestive process.
– Tackle some of the biggest controversies in pregnancy nutrition, including Recommended Daily Allowances, food guidelines and the most cutting edge perspectives available.
– Take on the project of working through your own food “stuff”, so that you can provide high quality nutritional counseling to your clients.
– Explore intuitive eating, and the role of pleasure in pregnancy nutrition.
– Learn about multiple perspectives on weight gain in pregnancy.
– Develop skills to support clients with culturally appropriate nutritional counseling, as well as how to work with people who eat different types of diets (paleo, raw vegan and everything in between) and people working within different budgets.
– Reflect on personal and professional losses and coping mechanisms you employ as a midwife
– Develop strategies for working with more complex pregnancy situations
– Create handouts, meal plans, and resource sheets for your clients.
Course Runs May 3rd through July 12th
Pregnancy Nutrition: A Pillar of Midwifery Knowledge
Midwives are healers within the larger community context, and as such has always worked with food and plants as our primary form of medicine. We have lost our way as midwives, and many of us do not tend to this extremely important part of our clients’ health. Learn about digestion, macro and micronutrients, the science that supports eating traditional diets, how nutrient needs change in pregnancy, and why optimum nutrition is crucial for
(Required donation is $249)